About Web Indexing
Web Index Examples
Web Indexing Awards
The Web & Electronic Indexing
SIG (Special Interest Group) promotes the human indexing of Web sites, HTML and XML documents and Content Management Systems as well as Word and PDF electronic documents, online help, databases and eBooks using software tools.
It seeks to foster closer ties with the ASI Digital Trends Task Force (ASI DTTF) which concentrates on eBook indexing (DTTF Volunteers 2011) and seeks to link up with tools developers to include indexes.
It also seeks to foster closer ties with the Periodical and Database Indexing SIG and Taxonomies and Controlled Vocabularies SIG of ASI.
Its first objective
is to serve the professional interests of indexers who seek to apply their
skills in traditional human indexing to the nontraditional Web medium.
This includes the writing of alphabetical (A-Z) indexes for individual
Web sites, intranets, online periodicals, and collections of multiple
Web sites. It also includes metadata keyword tagging of Web pages.
Its second objective
is to inform the Web design and development community of the tools and
resources for creating Web site indexes and the advantages of human-created
The Web & Electronic Indexing
SIG is an affiliate of the American Society for Indexing, but serves Web
indexers and Web indexing worldwide and members of affiliated societies can become free members.
Read our Web & Electronic Indexing
SIG brochure for more information.
Read our A-Z Site Indexes for improved site searching presentation (pdf) for examples and more information.
|member area was fixed so people can login and update their details, reset and change their password, set skill profile and change mailinglist subscription|
|American Society for Indexing Conference, April 17-19, 2013, Hotel Contessa, San Antonio TX USA|
American Society for Indexing Conference, April 30-May 3, 2014 - Embassy Suites, Charleston Convention Center, Charleston SC USA
|Web indexing podcasts, ebooks and videos were added. (Apr 1, 2013)|
|Web indexing award 2013 entry form setup. (May 1, 2013)|
|voluntary digital jobs|
- added many articles from Open Publish conference, Sydney, 2007 on information architecture, online publishing and Web 2.0 (June 30, 2013)
- added many articles by Lucie Haskins on embedded electronic indexing for Microsoft Word and FrameMaker (May 27, 2013)
- added many articles by Fred Brown on Web and electronic indexing (May 1, 2013)
- Web indexing events has new links for Australia. (Apr 2, 2013)
- Web indexing discussions has new groups. (Sep 24, 2011)
- Web indexing courses has had new links for Australia and Canada. (Sep 24, 2011)
- Web indexing software has had relevant articles listed next to the tools. (Sep 10, 2011)
- Articles list has been updated and sorted by year by author with new PDFs listed from archives (Sep 10, 2011)
- Web Indexing SIG survey June-July 2010 results (pdf) are now available.
- Pro Bono Project
Last updated July 18, 2013
Site maintained by Dwight Walker