About Web Indexing
Web Index Examples
Web Indexing Awards
The Web & Electronic Indexing
SIG (Special Interest Group) promotes the human indexing of Web sites, HTML and XML documents and Content Management Systems such as Drupal, Joomla! or Wordpress as well as embedded indexing of Microsoft Word, PDF and Framemaker electronic documents, online help, databases, mobile applications and eBooks using software tools such as InDesign, IXgen and DEXembed. See also podcasts, ebooks and videos.
Its first objective
is to serve the professional interests of indexers who seek to apply their
skills in traditional human indexing to the nontraditional Web medium.
This includes the writing of alphabetical (A-Z) indexes for individual
Web sites, intranets, online periodicals, and collections of multiple
Web sites. It also includes metadata keyword tagging of Web pages and online help and embedded indexing of Word, PDF and eBooks.
Its second objective
is to inform the Web design and development, online help and eBook community of the tools and resources for creating Web site, online help, Word and eBook indexes and the advantages of human-created indexes.
The Web & Electronic Indexing
SIG is an affiliate of the American Society for Indexing, but serves Web and eBook
indexers and Web, electronic and embedded indexing worldwide and members of affiliated societies can become free members.
Read our Web & Electronic Indexing
SIG brochure for more information.
Read our A-Z Site Indexes for improved site searching presentation (pdf) for examples and more information.
It seeks to foster closer ties with the ASI Digital Trends Task Force (ASI DTTF) which concentrates on eBook indexing and seeks to link up with tools developers to include indexes.
It also seeks to foster closer ties with the Periodical and Database Indexing SIG and Taxonomies and Controlled Vocabularies SIG of ASI.
|member area was fixed so people can login and update their details, reset and change their password, set skill profile, change mailinglist subscription and renew membership (due annually with current society membership)|
American Society for Indexing Conference, April 29-May 1, 2015 - Seattle WA USA - EPUB3, InDesign KPS Indexing Plugins, embedded, DTTF, XML, Taxonomies, beginners|
|Web indexing podcasts, ebooks and videos were added. (Apr 1, 2013)|
|Web indexing award 2013 winner. (Jan 28, 2014)|
|voluntary digital jobs|
- added many articles from ANZSI conference, Wellington NZ, 2013 (June 9, 2014)
- added many articles from Open Publish conference, Sydney, 2007 on information architecture, online publishing and Web 2.0 (June 30, 2013)
- added many articles by Lucie Haskins on embedded electronic indexing for Microsoft Word and FrameMaker (May 27, 2013)
- added many articles by Fred Brown on Web and electronic indexing (May 1, 2013)
- Web indexing events has new links for Australia. (Apr 2, 2013)
- Web indexing discussions has new groups. (Sep 24, 2011)
- Web indexing courses has had new links for Australia and Canada. (Sep 24, 2011)
- Web indexing software has had relevant articles listed next to the tools. (Sep 10, 2011)
- Articles list has been updated and sorted by year by author with new PDFs listed from archives (Sep 10, 2011)
- Web Indexing SIG survey June-July 2010 results (pdf) are now available.
- Pro Bono Project
Last updated Jan 12, 2015
Site maintained by Dwight Walker