About Web Indexing
Web Index Examples
Workshops, and Seminars
- Indexing in Adobe InDesign - Tabby Cat Communications - Cheryl Landes - Toronto, ON, Canada - June 8, 2014
- Taxonomy Bootcamp 2013 - Bringing it all together - Nov 5-6, 2013, Washington DC
- ASI Webinar: Converting Legacy Print Book Indexes for Use in eBooks - October 30 2013, 10 am Pacific; 11 am Mountain; 12 pm Central; 1 pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC with David K. Ream, Leverage Technologies
- "The Index Specification for the EPUB 3 eBook Publishing Standard" by Dave Ream, Leverage Technologies, Inc. - New England Chapter of ASI Fall Meeting - 19 October 2013, Boston College
- “Custom knowledge base development” and “Creating
and using Sharepoint 2010 taxonomies February 13, 2013” offered by the Montague Institute,
available in Web-based, face-to-face, and on-site formats. Emphasis is
learning to create corporate taxonomies, but Web A-Z indexes are also
- “Words, Meaning, Context: Building an App from Bartlett's Familiar Quotations January 9, 2013” (see Podcasts) and similar whitepapers, podcasts and articles offered by Seth Earley of Earley & Associates. Webinars with reference slides, offered every month.
- Taxonomy Division Webinar Series: The Role of Taxonomies in Content Strategy Dec 6, 2012
- NISO Webinar: Understanding Critical Elements of E-books: The Social Reading Experience of Sharing Bookmarks and Annotations Sep 12, 2012, 1:00-2:30pm ET (fees)
- Embedded indexing at NSW Writers Centre, Sydney, Australia, 11 Sep 2012 - Jon Jermey, Mary Coe of ANZSI - demos of LibreOffice, MS-Word, WordEmbed, DexEmbed and InDesign, along with the continuing significance of dedicated indexing software, plus thoughts on EPUB
Universities and Technical Colleges
- edX - MOOCs - free online courses from reputable universities worldwide
- MySkills.gov.au links students and employers with registered training organisations (RTOs) in Australia
- training.gov.au - joint initiative of Australian and state governments
- University and Vocational Education
- standardised Australia-wide course offerings from government and private Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) down to subject level
- standards across Australia were created by ANTA (Australian National Training Authority); before every state had its own standards causing much resitting of exams
- lists courses needed to upgrade qualifications when other has been superseded
- offerings: face to face, online, correspondence and distance
- Australia and overseas via distance education
- use reports to get clustering of specialities for same ID e.g. TAE40110 Training and Assessment
- not all RTOs provide the same subjects and search is not easy to find right one
- Open Colleges - Australian online courses
- iSchool - the School of Information Studies, Syracuse University, NY, USA
- OpenLearning - UNSW MOOC (massive open online courses) in computing
- Open Universities Australia - distance education
- UNILINC - shared meta indexing, Sydney, Australia
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of California Berkeley, San Francisco, USA
- University of Ballarat Centre for eCommerce and Communications, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
- Single Source Publishing - Docbook Manager
- Content Management System - Content Builder
- UNC School of Information and Library Science, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
- Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois - The iSchool at Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
- MIT, Boston, CT, USA
- School of Information Studies, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga NSW, Australia
- School of Library, Archival and Information Studies, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- UTS: Information, Media, Knowledge Management, Sydney, Australia - postgraduate coursework
- UNSW Australian School of Business School of Information Systems, Technology and Management, Sydney, Australia
Institute of Certified Indexers
Thesaurus construction course - on demand - contact
, Canberra, Australia
Organization,” online workshops offered
through Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Continuing Education Program.
Site Indexing for Freelance Indexers,”“HTML for Indexers,”
and “Indexing Techniques for Web Sites and Intranets”
self-paced online courses offered by Hedden Information Management.
See also course
review article (pdf) republished with permission from Key Words,
The Bulletin of the American Society of Indexers.
Website Indexes,” half-day conference workshop, occasionally
offered at ASI.
Online Indexing” (one day) and “Indexing Using RoboHELP HTML
Editions” (two days) offered by William Meisheid of Sageline
Publishing in Ellicott City, MD. Onsite training possible for four or
Site Indexing,” revised text of a presentation given by Marilyn
Rowland at the Web Indexing Workshop at the American Society for Indexing Annual Conference June 1999.
Site Indexing with HTML Primer”, online course by Broccoli Information
Management. This course is no longer being offered, but contact Broccoli
Information Management if you are interested, for it might be put out
as an e-book.
“Introduction to Web Indexing”,
online course run by Dwight Walker at WWWalker Web Development Pty Ltd one day a week over 4 weeks in 1998. This course is no longer being offered and course notes were sold in HTML but are no longer available.
Basic HTML Resources
one can create a Web site index with a Web indexing tool and no knowledge
of HTML, a basic skill in HTML is highly desirable to tweak or fix an
index and to meet client style format requirements.
basics of HTML can be learned from any of various online tutorials. The
following are but a few of the online HTML tutorials available:
a more comprehensive course in HTML:
online by ed2go,
with enrollment through any one of over 1,250 colleges and secondary school
continuing education programs in the United States, Canada, and Australia.