About Web Indexing
Web Index Examples
Workshops, and Seminars
- Taxonomy Bootcamp 2015 - Bringing it all together - Nov 2-3, 2015, Washington DC
- Embedded indexing and indexing of e-books - April 6, 2015, UC Berkeley Extension - Kevin Broccoli - curriculum
- Indexing: theory and application - 2014-15, UC Berkeley Extension - Max McMaster
- ASI Online Learning: Practical Taxonomy Creation, 3-Part Series with Heather Hedden - January 14, 21, 28, 2015 10am Pacific, 11am Mtn, 12pm Central, 1pm Eastern - live and on demand
- Indexing in Adobe InDesign - Tabby Cat Communications - Cheryl Landes - Toronto, ON, Canada - June 8, 2014
- ASI Webinar: Converting Legacy Print Book Indexes for Use in eBooks - October 30 2013, 10 am Pacific; 11 am Mountain; 12 pm Central; 1 pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC with David K. Ream, Leverage Technologies
- "The Index Specification for the EPUB 3 eBook Publishing Standard" by Dave Ream, Leverage Technologies, Inc. - New England Chapter of ASI Fall Meeting - 19 October 2013, Boston College
- "Custom knowledge base development" and "Creating and using Sharepoint 2010 taxonomies", February 13, 2013 offered by the Montague Institute, available in Web-based, face-to-face, and on-site formats. Emphasis is learning to create corporate taxonomies, but Web A-Z indexes are also included.
- “Words, Meaning, Context: Building an App from Bartlett's Familiar Quotations January 9, 2013” (see Podcasts) and similar whitepapers, podcasts and articles offered by Seth Earley of Earley & Associates. Webinars with reference slides, offered every month.
- NISO Webinar: Understanding Critical Elements of E-books: The Social Reading Experience of Sharing Bookmarks and Annotations Sep 12, 2012, 1:00-2:30pm ET (fees)
- Embedded indexing at NSW Writers Centre, Sydney, Australia, 11 Sep 2012 - Jon Jermey, Mary Coe of ANZSI - demos of LibreOffice, MS-Word, WordEmbed, DexEmbed and InDesign, along with the continuing significance of dedicated indexing software, plus thoughts on EPUB
Institute of Certified Indexers
Thesaurus construction course - on demand - contact
, Canberra, Australia
Organization,” online workshops offered
through Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Continuing Education Program including:
Self-paced online courses offered by Hedden Information Management:
Online Indexing” (one day) and “Indexing Using RoboHELP HTML
Editions” (two days) offered by William Meisheid of Sageline
Publishing in Ellicott City, MD. Onsite training possible for four or
Site Indexing,” revised text of a presentation given by Marilyn
Rowland at the Web Indexing Workshop at the American Society for Indexing Annual Conference June 1999.
“Introduction to Web Indexing”,
online course run by Dwight Walker at WWWalker Web Development Pty Ltd one day a week over 4 weeks in 1998. This course is no longer being offered and course notes were sold in HTML but are no longer available.
Basic HTML Resources
one can create a Web site index with a Web indexing tool and no knowledge
of HTML, a basic skill in HTML is highly desirable to tweak or fix an
index and to meet client style format requirements.
basics of HTML can be learned from any of various online tutorials. The
following are but a few of the online HTML tutorials available:
a more comprehensive course in HTML:
online by ed2go,
with enrollment through any one of over 1,250 colleges and secondary school
continuing education programs in the United States, Canada, and Australia.
Web and Electronic Indexing SIG of ASI does not accept requests for free links to commercial training bodies' sites for courses that are remotely linked to indexing. No spam.
Dwight Walker, Webmaster, March 31, 2015