About Web Indexing
Web Index Examples
Web Indexing Awards
Web & Electronic Indexing Pro Bono Program
The Web & Electronic Indexing SIG runs a free web index creation service for non-profit organizations with small web sites. This program benefits the organization, the SIG and its members by raising the visibility of web site indexes in general, promoting the Web Indexing SIG and its members, and helping members gain demonstrable experience.
About the Program
Indexers who wish to participate in the program must be a member of Web & Electronic Indexing SIG and have some prior web site indexing experience or training. Preference will go to those members who are listed on the web site. Each web site index created under the program is reviewed by another web site indexer prior to delivery.
The typical service provided by the program is as follows:
- The web site or sub-site section should be approximately 15-100 web pages
- The index will conform to the "Best Practices" listed on this website
- The indexing work will be done completely off-site
- The index will be delivered as either a single HTML file or series of files
- The index project will have a deadline requiring less than full-time work to create (4 hours or less in a day, 20 hours or less than a week)
- The indexer will not provide continual updates to the index
The non-profit organization will be expected to commit to:
- Provide all the site files to be indexed either on a shipped CD, in
a downloadable compressed form or online if agreed, and no further
major changes should be made (unless agreed with the indexer) during
the period of time that the indexer is working.
- Make the index publicly accessible (volunteers do this for free so they can demonstrate their work)
- Keep the index available and accessible on the site for at least a year (while no guarantee is expected, the index should not be intentionally temporary)
- Acknowledge the creator of the indexer in some form (name mentioned somewhere on the site)
- Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) 38th annual meeting, Vancouver BC, Canada, June 1-3, 2016, mentorship videos
Gravett, Amron, Beth Nauman-Montana, "Showcasing pro bono work and the benefits of collaboration", Key Words, Vol 21 No 7, pp 112-114, July 2013 (mention of Web and Electronic Indexing SIG Pro Bono Program p114)
- ANZSI Index Series - these indexes were created by beginner indexers mentored by ANZSI and are for sale on their Website to generates funds for ANZSI - pro bono scheme also contains mentoring - this is a good example of mentoring growing new talent in the indexing field
Inquiries about the service should be directed to the Acting Web & Electronic Indexing SIG Pro Bono Project Coordinator, Dwight Walker (mentor).
In June 2016, 3 members of the SIG approached the Webmaster to participate in a pro bono Web indexing project. This was quite exciting after the project had been inactive for 4 years.
Pro Bono Project Coordinator Job Description
- offer support and engage emerging professionals
- raise the rate of success for newbies locating clients
- encourage experienced indexers to actively support emerging professionals in an organized effort.
Sources of Non-Profits
- Project Management
- Web design