About Web Indexing
Web Index Examples
Web Indexing Awards
Web & Electronic Indexing Pro Bono Program
The Web & Electronic Indexing SIG runs a free web index creation service for non-profit organizations with small web sites. This program benefits the organization, the SIG and its members by raising the visibility of web site indexes in general, promoting the Web Indexing SIG and its members, and helping members gain demonstrable experience.
About the Program
Indexers who wish to participate in the program must be a member of Web & Electronic Indexing SIG and have some prior web site indexing experience or training. Preference will go to those members who are listed on the web site. Each web site index created under the program is reviewed by another web site indexer prior to delivery.
The typical service provided by the program is as follows:
- The web site or sub-site section should be approximately 15-100 web pages
- The index will conform to the "Best Practices" listed on this website
- The indexing work will be done completely off-site
- The index will be delivered as either a single HTML file or series of files
- The index project will have a deadline requiring less than full-time work to create (4 hours or less in a day, 20 hours or less than a week)
- The indexer will not provide continual updates to the index
The non-profit organization will be expected to commit to:
- Provide all the site files to be indexed either on a shipped CD, in
a downloadable compressed form or online if agreed, and no further
major changes should be made (unless agreed with the indexer) during
the period of time that the indexer is working.
- Make the index publicly accessible (volunteers do this for free so they can demonstrate their work)
- Keep the index available and accessible on the site for at least a year (while no guarantee is expected, the index should not be intentionally temporary)
- Acknowledge the creator of the indexer in some form (name mentioned somewhere on the site)
Inquiries about the service should be directed to the Web & Electronic Indexing SIG Pro Bono Project Coordinator,
Upper Midwest Chapter of ASI are interested in this Project too.
Suggestions for contributions to this page should be sent